As we face the reality of not only the current obesity epidemic, but it’s nearly certain continued increase to sky-high rates, it is more important than ever that we – as a society – try to find new ways to get Australians’ health back on track. From the perspective of an employer, this is particularly vital.
1. Obesity-related absenteeism costs employers an estimated $7.4 billion each year and
2. Productivity loss – known as “presenteeism” – of a staggering $30 billion.
Did you know that
• 59% of employees do not get adequate exercise
• 50% or more have high cholesterol
• 27% have cardiovascular disease
• 26% are overweight by 20 percent or more
• 24% have high blood pressure
Employers play an important role
Changing our behaviour is ultimately up to each of us as individuals. However, employers have a tremendous opportunity to help their employees see the value of adopting healthier behaviours so that they can live healthier lives.
A workplace culture sets the tone for its employees. A supportive work environment, where leaders reinforce a sound wellness strategy, can keep employees motivated and engaged. Wellness programs can be used to drive and reinforce healthy behaviours, bringing benefits to the employer, the employee, and to the community.
Employers may utilize a wide range of wellness initiatives such as quit smoking programs, flu shots, gym memberships, and more. Many businesses have achieved savings or increased productivity with just a few simple activities that promote healthy behaviours. What’s most important is to commit to wellness promotion in the organization.
Success is largely dependent on factors outside employers’ control; BUT to reap the benefits of a wellness program, employers must maximize employee buy-in and participation. Most industry literature and research agrees that the typical return on a wellness program is said to be from $3-$6 for every $1 invested, with savings realized 2-3 years after implementation.
Worksite health promotion is an investment in a business’ most important asset, its employees. Studies show that employees are more likely to be on the job and performing well when they are in optimal health.
Benefits of implementing a wellness program include:
• Attracting the most talented workers
• Reducing absenteeism and lost time
• Improving on-the-job time utilization,
decision making and productivity
• Improving employee morale
• Reduction in turnover
• Improved disease management and prevention, and a healthier workforce in general, both of which contribute to lower health care costs.
At Anytime Fitness, we are here to support you and your employees. We are:
• Largest 24-hour fitness chain in the world
• Over 2,500 clubs globally
• Over 380 Club in Australia and growing
• Rapid expansion growth plan to open another 200 clubs in the next 18 months in Australia
• Membership allows access to clubs worldwide
• Our mission for every Australian is to ‘feel something better’
At Anytime Fitness we offer:
• Free online health and wellness program for members
• Anytime Health is your free online personalised wellness dashboard
• Track your workouts, watch exercise videos and so much more
• Connect with a community of like-minded people and receive expert advice
• Whatever your fitness needs, our team of Personal Trainers can provide the motivation and support to achieve your health and fitness needs
• Invaluable expertise and support for devising a smart workout strategy
• Exclusive Anytime Fitness Rewards – We will reward you for your visits and efforts
For details on how Anytime Fitness can help you develop a wellness program to help your employees Feel Something Better, call us on 1300 ANYTIME and we can discuss how the Anytime Fitness MacArthur group can support your businesses.